The first buildings that Father Buckley replaced were the original rectory and convent, which were located where the present church building stands. They were white frame houses trimmed in green that housed the priests and offices and all the nuns- at least one per grade plus the principal (superior) and the music teacher. Father Buckley determined that the buildings were overcrowded and in a deteriorating condition, so he had plans drawn up for the present rectory and convent, which were dedicated on June 15, 1952. Thinking of the possible future need for land for a larger church, the convent was built on a new site that had formerly been the school playground, and the rectory was built across the street on the former site of a bicycle shop and one or two homes. The land where the present church now stands was made into a playground and parking lot.
In 1953 Father Buckley decided that more classrooms were needed in the school and oversaw the addition of a third floor on the church/school, which had been part of the original building plan. The classrooms were only partially completed by Christmas 1954, making for a difficult teaching environment until they were fully completed for the 1955 school year.
One of the first associates under Father Buckley was Father Ed Flannery who became very popular with the school children and adults as well. Parishioners looked forward to hearing his melodious voice especially when he sang his favorite, Golden Days. He had been awarded the Purple Heart for valor in the Army, and he was instrumental in creating a national Purple Heart Veterans Association.
Other associates under Father Buckley that had a great influence on the parish were Father Francis Nolan and Father Donald Duffy. As Father Buckley grew older, Father Duffy took over many of the duties of running the parish and was instrumental in organizing the fundraising efforts that were to begin in 1962 to raise money for a new church. Father Nolan and Father Duffy were very active in the various organizations in the parish by that time: the Holy Name Society, the Altar and Rosary Society, The MOSO Club, the Midilians, the Mr. & Mrs. Club, the St. Vincent DePaul Society, the Medical Missions, the Vestment Committee, the Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts, as well as school athletic activities. Father Duffy directed and took part in many variety shows, and Father Nolan was often his partner in the programs. According to a parishioner who recalls their antics, Martin and Lewis could have learned something.
In 1962, with the steady growth of the parish continuing, it became apparent that a new, larger church was necessary to meet the needs of the growing parish. Now that the parish finances were on solid ground and the other facilities in were order, Father Buckley asked Cardinal Meyer for permission to build on the now vacant land and to convert the existing church into more classrooms for the school. Cardinal Meyer and his consulting board approved everything in Father Buckleys plan except the method of raising money with which to pay for it. After consultation with the Cardinal, the board, and other pastors, it was decided to hire a professional firm, Curtis M. Crum of Kansas City, to run the fundraising effort.
A building campaign was launched to raise $500,000, which was to be combined with $200,000 that the church already had in the bank. A large team of volunteers was organized, and four glossy newspapers entitled Campaign News containing articles by the Cardinal, the Pastor, and campaign leaders were published, beginning March 11, 1962, to explain the campaign to the parishioners. An editorial in one of the papers reads, If we would but realize every time we enter a church, the terrific sacrifice that was made by the good people who have gone before to make that church a reality, then we would realize the sacred trust imposed upon us not only to maintain that church but to be ever anxious to improve it.
On Sunday, April 1, 1962, parishioners were asked to stay at home in the afternoon while an army of 375 men went door to door to every house to personally write down each familys pledge to the campaign. Families were asked to consider pledges of between $10-$40 per month over three years. The campaign was very successful, and within weeks the diocese purchased the two homes directly south of the open site on East Ave and demolition was begun. About the same time, the grassy areas around the school were removed and trees taken out to construct the present parking lot/playground. Bids for the project were taken during June, and the Architectural firm of Andrew G. Stoecker and the General Contracting firm of William C. Kuhlman were chosen to direct the project. Ground was broken on July 4, 1962, and Bishop Cletus ODonnell dedicated the building on September 9, 1963. The total cost of the new building was just over $550,000. The following year, in accordance with Vatican II, the altar was moved forward to its present location at a cost of $1700.
With the completion of the new church, the task of remodeling the old church still remained. Construction began in the summer of 1964 and was completed by October of 1964. The main floor was converted into classrooms, washrooms and an assembly hall (presently the library and computer lab), and the basement remained as an auditorium with a larger kitchen. New windows were installed on the whole building. A new principals office was made in what was the pipe room of the old pipe organ, which to the best of anyones memory was dismantled and discarded. The pews were donated to another church, although no record exists as to which church. Total cost of the remodeling was just over $100,000.